Now that the painting is completed (hopefully!), it’s time to put in the crown molding. Here’s the first piece above the entry.
Here’s the second piece next to the door…
…the third above the face of the shower…
…the fourth on the shower-side wall…
…the fifth on the vanity-side wall, and…
… the sixth above the tiled wall. Crown molding is exceptionally temperamental because of the 45° cuts. One tip I can offer is to make sure that your measurements are coming from and going to ONLY the part of the molding that is touching the wall. This is usually the smallest plane on the molding which is the hardest to locate when using a miter saw. A lot of folks make wrong cuts on crown molding and end up needing a lot more than they purchased before they figure out how to cut it. Be careful with this step and make sure everything is correct before cutting anything.
Time for more visual progress, which I love! Here is the chandelier that Tera picked out. It only took a few minutes to hang, and it makes such a difference in the feeling of the room. I absolutely love it! When placing the electrical box above the tub, I tied a mason string to a heavy nut and moved it until it held still right over the drain. I then marked it and set the middle of the electrical box on that mark. This is one of those details that doesn’t matter at all unless you mess it up. If the chandelier were offset from the center of the tub, it would look goofy and wrong.
I really like this chandelier! Tera has great taste for details like this!
We made sure to get variable wattage switches for both the sconces and the chandelier. The ceiling fan obviously does not need this, so that is the regular switch. You can also see that Tera has begun to play around with other colors for the walls, so there’s a grey swatch spot above the switches now.
…and of course we have a switch plate that fits with the oil-rubbed bronze fixtures. Again, Tera is responsible for all of these integrated details.
Now it’s time to treat the travertine tiles. Here is a “before and after” of the effect it has on the color and overall look of the tiles. If you want to seal your tile, but also make it permanently look like it does when it’s moist, look into “wet look” sealers. Some are much more effective than others, so you may end up buying a few jugs of different types and testing them on spare tiles like we did. Tera found this great one that we love! What a difference it makes!
Oh, yeah. Let’s not forget about the new bedroom wall that needs to be covered! Here is the first piece of drywall covering the old closet and (super awkward) pointless cutout that used to be in here.
Ok, now all the pieces of drywall are in place and fastened with screws. Taping, mudding, and sanding again…AARGH!
And all done. I just can’t reiterate enough how much I hate drywall dust! Also, we checked the sound barrier factor out for the first time. We went in either room, blasted water in the bathroom, yelled, clapped, and generally made as much noise as we could while we switched back and forth between the bedroom and bathroom. It is much, much better than we even hoped for!